In this article, you will learn a few interesting things about Gir Cow, a specific breed famous in India and all over the world.
The Gir Cow And Its Importance
The Gir is one of the principal Zebu breeds of cow originating in India. It has been used locally in the improvement of other breeds including the Red Sindhi and Sahiwal. Gir cow being a Bos indicus breed is resistant to hot temperatures and tropical diseases. It is very known for its milk-producing qualities.
The Gir is distinctive in appearance, typically having a rounded and domed forehead (the only ultra convex breed in the world), long pendulous ears and horns which spiral out and back.
Gir is generally mottled with the color ranging from red through yellow to white, black being the only unacceptable color. They originated in southwest India in the state of Gujarat and have since spread to neighboring Maharashtra and Rajasthan. The breed is known for its distinct appearance, height & weight and natural beauty which makes it very different from the Jersey cows, etc.
The females average 385 kg with a height of 130 cm and the males average 545 kg with a height of 135 cm. The average milk yield for the Gir is 1590 kg per lactation, with a record production of 3182 kg at 4.5% fat in India.
Gujarat is estimated to have only around 3,000 pure breed Gir cows left, according to Satyajit Khachar, scion of the erstwhile princely state of Jasdan and a known breeder of the cow.
Health benefits of Gir Cow Milk
- This milk contains an amino acid which fights with diseases like obesity, joint pain, asthma, mental problem.
- OMEGA 3 is present in this cow milk which helps to regulate the blood vessels.
- Amino fatty acid helps to improve fitness & vitality.
- Calcium present in milk is vital for bone growth development.
- Migraine & PMS – Calcium helps in reduction against PMS symptoms in the menstruation cycle & also prevents migraine headaches.
- This milk protects the colon cells from the chemical which leads to cancer.
- Parathyroid hormone- calcium in the cow’s milk helps in body fat oxidation & also decreases secretion of parathyroid hormone. Thus the level of parathyroid hormone maintained at a level.
- Effective against grout one of arthritis.
- Rich with vitamin B2 & B12 vitamin B12 helps to produce red blood cells. This helps to prevent anemia & produce nerve cells. Also, b12 aid the cells to use protein carbohydrates.
- Vitamin a present in milk is needed for the development & growth of mucosa & epithelial tissues. Deficiency of Vitamin A leads to frequent cold rheumatoid arthritis.
- Potassium present in the milk is better for proper heart functioning, nerve transmission & muscle contraction, infection in-ear & various other diseases. Also, prevent kidney stone formation.
- It is good for the kidney.
- Cow milk helps in reducing acidity.
- Reduces chances of peptic ulcer.
- Desi cow milk prevents the formation of serum cholesterol.
The Gir cattle is a famous dairy cattle breed originating in India. It is one of the principal Zebu or Bos indicus breeds in India and has been used locally in the improvement of other breeds. The native tract of Gir cattle is the Gir hills and forests of Kathiawar. Which includes Amreli, Bhavnagar, Junagadh and Rajkot districts of Gujarat.
The breed derives its name from the Gir forest, which is the natural habitat of the breed. The breed is also known as some other names in different parts of their breeding tract. Such as Bhodali, Gujarati, Sorthi, Surti, Kathiawari, and Desan. Gir cattle are also very popular outside India. United States, Mexico, Venezuela, and Brazil have imported this breed.